Saturday, February 9, 2013

Bach Vespers

 I had been wanting to see these for some time.  Erica was nice enough to come with me (and the Grimshaws of our ward were kind enought to trade babysittings.  It was a really neat setting--they light the candles, burn incense and do a real church service just like what would have been done in Bach's day.  I had no idea that Bach was not just a composer, he wrote lyrics to his music, too!  And much/most of his music was religious.
Vespers are the sunset evening prayer service in many liturgical traditions (including Lutheran, which was Bach's religion I believe).  The service we attended (last Sunday evening) was Candlemas, which commemorates when Simeon met Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus at the temple.

We didn't take photos, so these are from the website of the Lutheran Holy Trinity Church.  If it was closer to our house, we'd go more often, but it's in Manhattan near the Lincoln Center (and the LDS temple), so we probably won't make it over there again.

Here are some of the words of Candlemas Vesper:
[Simeon speaking]
"I have enough!
I have taken the Savior, the hope of the devout,
into my eager arms.
I have enough!
I have gazed upon him;
my faith has imprinted Jesus on my heart...

"In faith I cling to him
for I too see as Simeon did..."

No comments: