Friday, March 23, 2012

I like earthquakes better than tornadoes

Once upon a time, earlier today, Baby C and I were getting excited about the Indiana basketball game.
Then the wailing sounds of sirens filled the air. Is this another drill? Is there really a tornado?
I was chatting with Jonathan online, "But it's sunny outside and the birds are still chirping." 

"That is how it starts in the movies . . ." he warned.

My phone rang with a warning message, "This is not a test. This is an emergency. Seek cover now."

So we packed up. I grabbed the diaper bag, extra onesies (no pants, sorry dude), my journal, the computer, the hard drive, the camera, the crinkly elephant, and the Charles' baby book. And I grabbed the baby. I didn't close the windows.


We went downstairs and across the street and knocked on Winona's door. Good thing we are friends with neighbors on the bottom floor. I was pretty scared, but Winona was calm. She has even driven through a tornado once. We watched the hail out the window. I was waiting for any whirring sounds, ready to grab Charles and make a dash to the closet. There was a lot of rain and thunder and lightning.





 We watched "Gunsmoke" and the news and the tornado warnings on TV.


Eventually the tornado warning ended. The rain lightened up. I was really hungry and Baby C was really tired. We braved the walk back to our upstairs apartment. Hoping daddy would be home soon.

Big hail leftover:



Poor plant was torn up and had holes in it. Winona was sad. I thought it looked pretty cool! I hope our car doesn't have any holes in it . ..


We made it home. Like I mentioned before, we didn't close the windows. Our houseplants felt rainwater for the first time:


And our couch did too . . .


And the diapers on the line weren't dry yet. :)


Sunday we are putting together tornado bags. It will have granola bars and the windup radio. And pants for the baby.

The end.

No comments: