Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Mecca and the Covered Bridges

Last weekend we went to the Covered Bridge Festival  located in Parke County, about an hour and a half drive north from us. During the week of the festival, vendors from all around come to sell their wares. We enjoyed the free samples of dip, pork rinds, jams, and breads. We smelled alllll the candles, admired the model cars made of super-polished mahogany, and watched the chain saw guys turn tree stumps into bears.



Abraham Lincoln played tunes on his saw with a violin bow and there were some crazy boys running around with dead chickens on their heads (just hats, don't worry, it was sanitary). Both novelties disappeared before I could snap a picture, so you will have to take my word for it and enjoy my illustrations:

The main draw are these beautiful bridges, set in the rural country side. We went on a driving tour and saw about four of them (there are maybe 20-something!). All but one were still in use. The Mecca one was our favorite because, since it was no longer in use, you could get out and walk through it. Joshua liked the windows :). The bridge was very long and set over a pretty big creek/river. 




After visiting the Mecca Bridge we thought it adventurous to drive into the little town of Mecca; we like looking at old buildings. There was not much to the town, a few wooden bus stops and a tavern.

Wooden Bus Stop at Nighttime.


Well, we did see one other cool thing - a large old schoolhouse turned combined General Store and Gymnasium. It was a beautiful building, and while Joshua was admiring the architecture of the place, my eyes were reading the signs: "Haunted House. This way -->." Yep, so we went to the haunted house. It started in a half-hour, and dinner was included (delicious hotdog, popcorn, chips and a drink).  For a mere $8 each, we had quite and evening. 



"This is a Haunted House, not a FUN House. No refunds will be given if you chicken out."

 


The group we went through with consisted of 4 elementary school girls and a dad. By the end they were hanging onto Joshua and I, "I don't know you but I am staying right here with you!" I can't recall going to any haunted houses before, but even if I have, this one would still top the list. It took a while to get through all the pitch-black mazes, work your way through the crawl space in the basement, run from the nasty-scary clowns and grim reaper, lay down on the butchers block and get carved open, and stand trial on the gallows. They really put a lot of work into the thing (whoever "they" are). We had a blast. My heart was racing, and some people there were scared it would put me in labor. I survived, although every time a scary monster jumped in front of us, Sydney screamed and hugged my stomach so tight I thought she was going to pop me. :)

And those were our adventures in Mecca and Parke County last weekend. Stay tuned for my sewing projects and Halloween greatness. 

1 comment:

Katie said...

Those bridges look so cool. What a fun adventure! And I love your illustrations :)