Friday, September 17, 2010

Murun

Mongolian Skylight



Last night we were walking by the church and I thought I'd stop by to see if anything was going on.  Sure enough, there was a good-sized activity involving many of the people I knew best when I was serving in this small town.  They were holding the most unique annual branch budget meeting that I've ever seen.  It reminded me more of a town hall.  Anyway, Ganhuyag who I taught three years ago is now the 1st counselor and his wife is 1st counselor in the Relief Society.  Not surprising to me though, because they are such a great family.  After the meeting we went to some houses with the missionaries, one of whom turned out to be the little kid who'd always say hi to us (but we never paid much attention to him or let him go with because he was too young).  He wasn't even a member yet because his family disapproved, but now he is a district leader and trainer in the second year of his mission!  How things change in three or four years!

From my companion: she enjoyed eating hushuur (something like a fried dumpling, with mutton, of course!) for lunch today.  Also she wishes she'd studied her Mongolian a little harder.  Sometimes I forget that she doesn't understand and I talk to her in Mongolian.  She is training me to be a good translator, though.

No comments: