Monday, September 27, 2010

The Church in Mongolia Continues to Prosper

I have been struck again and again by the number of Mongolian missionaries whom I remember as young men/young women, and whom I am shocked to see all grown up as missionaries now, 3 to 5 years after I knew them.  Here is a partial list (more for my benefit of keeping track) that will give you an idea of how many of the 14-18 age kids from the branches I served in have served or are serving missions:

Han-Uul Branch
hmmm...none yet that I can remember.  Actually I do know of at least one, but she is going to be in the post-script of married RMs

Nalaikh Branch

(more to come in that marriage postscript).

Elder Galbayar

Elder Xuyagaa, Elder Purevsukh, Elder Munkhsukh (these three brothers are part of a family that my companion and I contacted, the oldest of them was in prison and the other two were barely progressing investigators when I left the area--I was astounded to hear that they were baptized, much less that the last two listed are RMs and the third is now serving his mission).

Elder Amarbaysgalan (little guy who looked like he was 12 and had no support from his family at all--his family still aren't members but he is a district leader and trainer now).

Sister Ariunzaya - one time, we reluctantly agreed to let her go with us to a couple of lessons even though I thought she was an immature, outspoken girl.  That day all of our plans and back-up plans blew up, and while I was trying to figure out what to do, Ariunzaya suggested that we pray.  I said, okay, fine, you're right, how about you say a prayer. So she did, and then right after that I felt like we should go check on some less-active members in a certain part of town. From the buildings we had been in to the shack where the less-actives liveed, we took a path I'd never taken before.  On the way, we ran into a guy who was pretty much a golden investigator.  He said, "my mom died recently, and I've had a really strong feeling that I need to find out where her spirit has gone."   He and his brother were great people, who, to my knowledge never got baptized, but regardless, little Ariunzaya taught me a lesson about praying for direction and following the Spirit that day.


Unur Branch

Elders Byamba and Ganzorig were great friends when I knew them as young men.  One night I was walking home from an activity with them and two or three other of the young men, and I got the distinct impression that it would be an amazing day for Mongolia when these two became missionaries.  Now Byamba and Ganzorig are serving together as zone leaders of the Erdenet zone.

Elder Bilguun

Elder Chinzorig (older brother of Ganzorig).  They are two fun kids.  I think they might have a sister who also served.

Sister Bulganbat (I have to remember to pass along her email address to Sister Schurz, the sister from my group, who always brought Bulganbat along to lessons as a witness)

Sister Turuu (she went to Utah Provo, and translated for Erica in RS on Sunday).  She is an English teacher now.  She'll go with us on Wednesday to visit a few people.  Her sister Otgoo is waiting for a mission call, it could come any day now.

Elder Boldsaikhan - I taught his parents and he baptized them.  I'll always remember when he shared his testimony at his parent's baptism.  His mom hasn't done so well and has separated from the family.  Boldoo served an honorable mission and is now married with a kid.  His dad, who has long had poor health, lives with them and is still active.  We'll visit them Wednesday.

Elder Jiguur- he replaced Battsetseg as the mission secretary (back from a mission to Hawaii). 


Hailaast Branch

Elder Munkhbayar, now serving in Unur. His sister (name forgot?) was just called to the California San Bernardino Mission

Elder Batgal and Sister Batchimeg--Battsetseg's duu's. You've seen their pictures on our blog.

Elder Battulga, served in Mongolia and now returned and an English teacher.  I was happy to hear that his formerly offended family is back into activity in the Church.

Sister Eegii - she is back from serving in Hawaii and is translating for the couples.

Sisters Chimedavaa and Urangaa - One of them was a flaky branch missionary and the other was an eternal investigator who couldn't get permission from her parents to be baptized.  They are both RMs who gave talks on Sunday about going to the temple, talking about the goals that President Andersen set to go back there.

Sister Shinegerel - I hear she's married now.

Sister Uurt____?  will try to remember the name


Murun Branch

Elders Munkhbayar and Bayraa have returned to Murun, where they serve collectively as branch executive secretary, branch mission leader, and young men's president.  They were branch missionaries; when I was there, one of these two went with us to lessons almost every day. Erica and I went to almost every house with one of them, just like old times. *  Purevochir also took a break from his 7-days-a-week routine of going with the full-time missionaries after school, in order to show us an address I'd forgotten.  He was a tiny 13-year old kid but now he's 16 and can't wait to go on a mission after 3 more years as a super-active branch missionary

Sister Erdenechimeg

Sister Oyunpurev - served in Unur branch where I was her district leader.  She married a non-member which makes me worry about her a little bit but she was at church.  She has a 1-year old baby and seems reasonably happy.  Her older brother, an RM, returned to activity, which I had thought impossible.  He taught a wonderful Elder's Quorum lesson.


Stay tuned for pictures of many of these missionaries.

Also that marriage post-script!

No comments: