Sunday, August 19, 2012

Box Canyon

In mid-(or was it late?) July, I drove back one more time from St. Louis to Bloomington, to attend the baptism of one of the kids in my Primary class, Jeremiah.  The baptism was a great, spiritual, testimony-building event; unfortunately I did not have Erica with me and therefore I completely forgot to take any pictures.  However, on the way there, I did stop and explore an awesome "box canyon" in Southern Indiana:


Hard to tell, but believe it or not that is my foot hanging over the edge of a substantial cliff.  "box canyon is a small ravine or canyon with steep walls on three sides, allowing access and egress only through the mouth of the canyon."   The coolest part about box canyons is how the sides are very close together.  Probably there isn't much more than a hundred feet separating the walls of this canyon going all the way up to the top of it.


Along the switchbacks winding down to the bottom, there were lots of large boulders with cool hidey-holes underneath them.  I decided I would come back someday with Erica and Charles when we live in Indiana again in 2013.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is a good thing that you did not fall off! I bet Erica would have killed you if you had died!